Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Jack the Ripper, Stourhead, Winchester and Prochester Castle

Okay so last night we all did the Jack the Ripper Tour. It sounds morbid, which it was a little, but it was really interesting. So we get off of the tube and our tour guide is waiting for us at the exit. While we are walking out of the tube we notice all of these police men taking notes and asking people questions, obviously this is not a good place in town. So the tour guide takes us to every place where Jack murdered his victims. She would take us down these alley ways that looked totally sketch. Even though there were 40 girls with us and nothing was bound to happen, I still found myself taking a peek over my shoulder very often. Mckenzie made me and Steph stand on either side of her and she about squeezed our hands to death she was so scared. While I was paying close attention, Mckenzie keeps muttering to herself, why did I come? Why am I here? Haha she was very scared. Our tour guide has been studying the case of Jack the Ripper for 20 years ever since she was 12 years old! She was very excited about the subject. At the end she told us her theory of the Ripper and she actually thinks that Jack the Ripper is two people! Even though some of the girls got very scared I found it very interesting.

Today was another travel day. We went to Stourhead, Winchester Cathedral and Prochester Castle. Stourhead is actually the place where some of the scenes from Pride and Prejudice were filmed. Before Pride and Prejudice it is famous for its beautiful gardens. It has beautiful ponds, waterfalls and architecture structures. One architectural structure that was made famous from the movie Pride and Prejudice is Apollo’s Temple (this is where Mr. Darcy, for the first time, expresses his love to Elizabeth). When you go the Apollo’s Temple it is one of the most beautiful views of the whole garden. This place was absolutely stunning and I would love to go back there in the spring or summer, I cant imagine how amazing it would be. After we finished there we headed over to Winchester to see the Winchester Cathedral. I love going inside of all these churches because it is so peaceful inside. This church is the place where Jane Austen is buried (yes it was a big Jane Austen day). I really enjoyed this church. There was a middle section of the church that was so intricate and so amazing to see. I tried to take a picture of it so hopefully you can see, but a picture does not do it justice. After we finished inside the chapel I needed to go to the bathroom. Everyone was meeting outside of the chapel to leave so I just hurried and went to the bathroom. When I got out of the bathroom everyone was GONE!! I was like ooookayyy. So I just started walking towards where the bus was going to be to pick us up figuring I would catch up with them. When I got to the bus stop (which I almost got lost going to) the bus was not there and NO ONE was there either. My heart almost dropped. I was like ok so I am like 3 hours away from London how am I supposed to get back! I stayed at the station hoping that the bus would come back. I was so confused because I knew they wouldn’t just leave me, but I could not find them anywhere. I started saying almost every prayer possible. I was scared that I was left in this far away town. I finally remembered that I had a piece of paper with all of the professors names on it. I quickly found the nearest phone booth and called one of them. When they answered the phone and I told them it was me they didn’t sound relived or worried at all. I finally explained to them how I had been separated from the group and I had no idea where to go or where they were. He nicely explained that they were at the great hall (which is in the same city very close to the Winchester chapel, and me being forgetful, totally forgot that we were going to that after). He told me they would be heading back soon so I should just wait by the bus stop for them to get there. Now that I was filled with relief and knowing that no one had left me, I went into a cute little shop and bought some slippers that I have been in need for. So that was a big panic for my day! Can you imagine being left in a town three hours away from home not knowing how to get home!! Well anyways so after Winchester we headed over to Porchester Castle. This is an old run down castle. Not a very big one. Most of the castle is broken apart. We got to climb all these tedious stairs though to the very top and see the beautiful view. The castle was right next to a harbor which I had to stop by. Smelling the smell of sea water made me feel at home and smelt SO good. I collected some cool sea shells so I could have some from England! We finished or journey and headed back home. Afterwards we went out to dinner at this place called Wagamama! It is SO good!! It is Thai, Japanese and Chinese food. They have really good Thai food and I have come to like it so much! After I day of traveling everyone came home and watched…of course…can you guess??? YES Pride and Prejudice! It was fun to see the scene and see where we exactly had stood that very day! Today was a fun and eventful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment